August 31, 2013
First game of last ACC season. MD won 43-10!
Welcome to our web site
Beware of the Maryland Beta SAE Turtle!
SAE and Maryland Beta 70 years and counting!
October 27, 2013
Ed Downey '52, Logan Connor '14 & John Lauer '63
In the News
- Welcome or welcome back to the University of Maryland - College Park, as we begin the 2014/2015 academic year.
- Recruitment is truly a year round process at Maryland Beta. It is important that interested UMD students submit a Recruitment Recommendation and state their potential interest early on (click here) so they can get on the recruitment/rush list and be kept informed of recruitment events throughout the semester. Similarly, alumni and friends of members should also submit a Recruitment Recommendation to the chapter (click here). For more information about Maryland Beta's recruitment, click on the RUSH button in the top menu bar above.
- Congratulations and Good Luck to 15 Graduating Seniors: Josh Fennell, Brandon Fireison, Chris Helstern, Matt Jolles, Steven Laughlin, Zach Lenkiewicz, Chris MacLane, Mike McCloskey, Sam Oshrine, Matt Reyes, Matt Richardson, Justin Shields, Paul Spadaccini, Ryan Tommins and John Wood.
- Welcome Spring 2014 New Members: Tony Farace, Stephen Ford, Blake Heuer, Joon Lee, Raghav Mehra, Sam Mengistu, Teddy Porter, Nathan Riley, Guillaume Toujas, Benton Williams and Alex Wilson.
- Seven Centennial Honor Roll Honorees Named on April 27 as part of DFSL's celebration of 100 years of Greek life on the University of Maryland Campus. Each Greek Letter organization earned one honoree slot for every 10 years they remained active on campus. SAE is proud to boast of our seven honorees:
- Harold M. "Hal" Brierley, '65
- Harry C. "Curly" Byrd, '43 (posthumously)
- Raymond M. "Hondo" Davids, '77
- Edward M. "Ed" Downey, '52
- Christopher P. "Chris" Gaylor, '72
- John N. Lauer, '63
- Charles E. "Chaz" Seymour, '82
- Spring Fest - a Success! On Friday, April 25, from 5 PM - 8 PM, in Ritchie Coliseum, SAE sponsored an "all-you-can-eat" event with plenty of live music, a Cornhole tournament, games and raffles. All this to promote awareness of the Children's Miracle Network (CMN), our national philanthropy, and to help raise money, with all proceeds going straight to CMN. It was open to all UMD students, parents, alumni and friends of the Greater College Park community.
- Founders' Day
was held on March 7, at Mulligan’s in the University Golf Course Clubhouse. Alumni and active members enjoyed a social hour preceding dinner. After dinner, a brief program was held to announce the annual chapter and alumni award winners. This year, Chris Helstern ‘14 received the True Gentleman of the Year Award; Chris MacLane ‘14 won the Excellence in Scholarship Award, and Dan Gladding, Salisbury ‘78, won the James G. Sakers Outstanding Alumnus Award.
- Greek Centennial Reception at Homecoming was hosted by UMD President, Wallace D. Loh at University House on October 27, and was attended by Alumnus Ed Downey '52, Eminent Archon/President Elect, Logan Connor '14 and Alumnus John Lauer '63 (pictured above). Over 300 Greeks attended this special event as Maryland's Centennial Year of Greek Life is kicked off and celebrated.
Our Creed (and our Mission): The True Gentleman (click to view)
SAE National Fraternity Fact Sheet (click to view)
Pictured above at the August 31st football opener, L - R: Justin Shields '14, Ben Carter '15, Tom Seymour '12, Paul Widmeyer '12, Steven Margolies '12 and Michael Santini '13
For additions or corrections to this page or to the web site, please contact the MDBE Webmaster (click to e-mail)