April 1, 2016
In Honor of our Courageous Brother, Mike Mandl
Welcome to our web site
Beware of the Maryland Beta SAE Turtle!
SAE and Maryland Beta 73 years and counting!
New Members Taking the Oath to Become an SAE
In the News
- Welcome Spring 2016 (mid-semester rush) New Members: Cameron Bender from Potomac, MD; Jordan Dunn from Lake Geneva, WI; and Samit Sheth, from Baltimore, MD were initiated in the UMD Garden Chapel on April 5. Three new SAE True Gentlemen added to the ranks of the Maryland Beta Chapter at Maryland.
- "Cancer Can't Handle the Mandl": was held on April 1, from 3 - 5 PM at the Alpha Omicron Pi (AOP) chapter house. SAE is raising awareness of youth cancer and raising charitable funds since it has "hit home." 22 year old Mike Mandl, from Clarksville, MD, a former member of the chapter, was recently diagnosed with osteosarcoma two days before Christmas 2015. He has undergone chemotherapy followed by an operation on March 30. With more chemotherapy to follow, he has a long road ahead since the cancer may have spread.
This event was in honor of him and helped to raise both money and awareness for this seldom talked about youth disease. The College Park community came out in full support of this worthy cause. Our Creed teaches us to become a True Gentleman, and this event is a prime example of what our fraternity is really all about. Best wishes go out to Mike, his family and friends.
- The Mission of SAE: is to promote the highest standards of friendship, scholarship and service for our members based upon the ideals set forth by our Founders and as specifically enunciated in “The True Gentleman.”
- Recruitment is truly a year round process at Maryland Beta. It is important that interested high school seniors and UMD students submit a Recruitment Recommendation and state their potential interest early on (click here) so they can get on the recruitment/rush list and be kept informed of recruitment events throughout the semester. Similarly, alumni and friends of chapter members should also submit a Recruitment Recommendation to the chapter (click here). For more information about Maryland Beta's recruitment, click on the RUSH button in the top menu bar above.
- Seven Centennial Honor Roll Honorees Named as part of DFSL's celebration of 100 years of Greek life on the University of Maryland Campus. Each Greek Letter organization earned one honoree slot for every 10 years they remained active on campus. SAE is proud to boast of our seven honorees:
- Harold M. "Hal" Brierley, '65
- Harry C. "Curly" Byrd, '43 (posthumously)
- Raymond M. "Hondo" Davids, '77
- Edward M. "Ed" Downey, '52
- Christopher P. "Chris" Gaylor, '72
- John N. Lauer, '63
- Charles E. "Chaz" Seymour, '82
Our Creed (and our Mission): The True Gentleman (click to view)
SAE National Fraternity Fact Sheet (click to view)
Pictured above at the April 1, 2016 "Cancer Can't Handle the Mandl" Philanthropy event, kneeling L - R: Yuval Elkun Philanthropy/Service Chair, Nate Riley, Benton Williams, Ross Kone and Joe Malandruccolo; standing L - R, Mike Schraibman, Anthony Ferraro, Andrew Warden Chapter President, Kevin Bergmann, Michael Alecci, Jamie Loftus and Brian Stomel.
For additions or corrections to this page or to the web site, please contact the MDBE Webmaster (click to e-mail)